- Born: 18 Sep 1830, Stanhoe, Norfolk, Eng
- Christened: 22 Sep 1830, Stanhoe, Norfolk, Eng
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth Thompson 18 Aug 1862 m1 in West Norwood, Lambeth, Surrey, England
- Marriage (2): Emma E James (Dec) 1872 m2 in West Norwood, Lambeth, Surrey, England
- Died: (Dec) 1881, West Norwood, Lambeth, Surrey, England at age 51
In 1841 and 1851 he lived Wyyndham Place,Camberwell,Surrey. Age 21 Apprestice Butcher
In 1861 lived 36 High St.Norwood,Surrey, Age 29 Head. Butcher.
m.1. 1862, Elizabeth Thompson, West Norwood.
1) Anthony - b. 1863, W. Norwood; d. 1863, W. Norwood
2) Anthony - b. 1864, W. Norwood; m. 1897 Harriet Stiff, St. Saviour; d. 1920, Lambeth
3) Emily - b. 1865, W. Norwood; m. 1888 William Henry Thompson, Kensington; d. 1950
4) Sewell (Fred) - b. 1867, W. Norwood; m. 1893 Annie Downs, W. Norwood; d. 1928, Brighton
5) Amy - b. 1870, W. Norwood; m. 1893 Henry George Parish, W. Norwood; d. 1949
6) Frederick John - b. 1872, W. Norwood; m. 1895 Fanny I. Edwards, Woolwich; d. 1945
In 1871 they lived Church Row,Norwood,Surrey. Age 40 Head. Butcher
m.2. 1872, Emma James, West Norwood.
1) William - b. 1873, W. Norwood; m. 1903 Harriet Parrish, W. Norwood; d. 1951
2) Richard - b. 1875, W. Norwood; d. 1877, W. Norwood
3) Deborah - b. 1876, W. Norwood; d. 1877, W. Norwood
4) Ellen - b. 1878, m. 1904 George William Gain, Lambeth; d. 1962
5) Charlotte - b. 1881, W. Norwood; d. 1883, W. Norwood
The following letter was sent to Frederick from his cousin Sarah (Jarrett??), on the occasion of his father's (John) death:
Gt. Bircham Sunday morn
My dear Fred
Your poor dear Father breathed his last - at 1 o'clock Yesterday afternoon, we had no idea he would have lingered so long, & it was a happy release, Ellen is with us and will remain here for the funeral.
She thinks of having the funeral next Thursday the 13th at half past 3 & would be very glad if you could come?
If you left London by the 8 train on Thursday morn, you could get to Docking at - 20 past 1 which would be quite time enough as we would have someone to meet you - Ellen hopes Charlotte & Emily will come on Wednesday, she does not know whether
Tony will come but perhaps you will see or write to him & make arrangements for your coming to father.
Will you write to Ellen & let her know what you think of doing & then she can make her arrangements, she would like an answer by return of post about your coming as she will most likely hear from Tony whether he can come or not.
I hope Bepie(??) is pretty well. We all join in our love & regards to her & you & I am
Your affecte Cousin
Sarah Jarrett (??)
1881 Census Household:
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability
Frederick BURGIS Head M Male 50 ...oe, Norfolk, England Head Butcher
Emma BURGIS Wife M Female 27 Sutton, Surrey, England
Sewell BURGIS Son Male 13 Norwood, Surrey, England
Amy BURGIS Daugh Female 11 Norwood, Surrey, England Scholar
Frederick BURGIS Son Male 9 Norwood, Surrey, England Scholar
William BURGIS Son Male 7 Norwood, Surrey, England Scholar
Richard BURGIS Son Male 6 Norwood, Surrey, England Scholar
Ellen BURGIS Daugh Female 2 Norwood, Surrey, England
Dwelling Elder Road 15 Linton Grove
Census PlaceLambeth, Surrey, England
Family History Library Film 1341145
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 0628 / 21
Page Number 4
In 1881 died Oct/Dec quarter Lambeth,London. Age 51
Noted events in his life were:
• Occupation: butcher, 1881, West Norwood, Lambeth, Surrey, England.
Frederick married Elizabeth Thompson 18 Aug 1862 m1 in West Norwood, Lambeth, Surrey, England. (Elizabeth Thompson was born about 1835 in Norwood, Eng and died (Mar) 1872 in West Norwood, Lambeth, Surrey, England.)
Frederick next married Emma E James (Dec) 1872 m2 in West Norwood, Lambeth, Surrey, England. (Emma E James was born about 1854 in Sutton, Surrey, England.)